Heyer Voices represents a partnership between two local Charlottesville nonprofits:
The Heather Heyer Foundation was created in response to the tragic death of Heather Heyer, the injury of 40 others, and the Unite the Right Rally in Charlottesville, Virginia in August of 2017. Its’ purpose is to support young people in their pursuit of social justice and unity.
The Sum provides workshops, assessment, and coaching to empower people and organizations in solidarity across our differences.
Heyer Voices supports area youth (high school juniors and seniors) to do two things:
1. Cultivate self-awareness, empowerment, and skillfulness to change the world from “the inside out.”
2. Develop and implement innovative projects using non-violent direct-action.
To apply to Heyer Voices, submit an application online, one reference letter, and a permission/waiver form under the "FORMS" tab.
All meetings/workshops will be held at the combined offices of the Heather Heyer Foundation and The Sum: 914 E. Jefferson St., Suite G4. Charlottesville, VA. 22902. The program is limited to 12 participants.
• Information Meetings: Thursday, September 5th and Wednesday,
September 11th, both 7 pm to 8 pm).
• Applications and one letter of reference due: Tuesday, September 17th.
• Acceptance notification: Wednesday, September 18th.
• Opening workshop: Friday, September 27th: 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm.
• All-Day workshop and project planning: Saturday, September 28th, 9 am to 5 pm.
• Monthly project planning meetings (2 hours each): Saturday, October 12th and Saturday, November 9th, both from 10 a.m. to noon.
• Final day-long “capstone”: Saturday, December 14th (combines workshop learning, celebration of accomplishments, and future visioning).
Call 434-282-1377, email firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by the office at 914 E Jefferson Street, Charlottesville, Virginia during business hours for more information.
The Heather Heyer Foundation